Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11

Where were you on 9/11?

I was in Anaheim, CA.  We woke up on that morning to an almost three year old excited to go over to Disneyland to celebrate her birthday.  Being that it was barely 6:00 AM, I talked her into watching Playhouse Disney for a little while so we could sleep some more.  Getting out of bed, I turned the hotel TV on and immediately saw a building on fire.  It took me a few minutes to fully grasp what was happening, and I immediately woke up my husband.

Disneyland was closed that day.  We took our two daughters to Disneyland Hotel and tried to do our best to entertain them as they were three and one.  I will never forget walking around the lobby and hearing a woman walking towards me on her phone, crying, asking if her boyfriend was okay.  I  will never know that answer but it's never left me.

9/11 was something that will impact us for the rest of our lives.  I still can't watch documentaries or reports without crying, and feeling chills.  The horror of that day will live with us forever.

But...

We can also remember the heroes and the sacrifices.  We can do acts of service.  We can honor the victims and their names.  We can think of what really matters, and do our best not to focus on the mundane.  We can come together as a nation.

We Will Never Forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment