Monday, September 16, 2013

A Piece of Me

“Just know, when you truly want success, you’ll never give up on it. No matter how bad the situation may get.” - Unknown

This quote really hit hard.  I am the type that if I don't succeed right away, I'm done.  I give up.  I move on.  

Since I published Distorted, there have been so many times I've almost done just that.  It's too hard.  It's not all fun and games.  It's really a lot of work.

But...

I haven't.

Because I finally had a heart to heart with myself and I told myself it's time to try.  It's time to work hard for something and to give it a chance.  It's time to stop giving into my insecurities.

Those who know me know I suffer from a very fragile self-esteem.  I naturally feel people just don't like me and feel I'm not worth the time of day. Yeah, it sucks and I've worked hard lately to get a grip and not worry so much.  Easier said than done though.  

Writing and publishing have been one of the biggest highs of my life.  I am thrilled beyond words that I accomplished my goal of writing a book.  This is something I've wanted my whole life.  I did it.

So why think of quitting?

Because it's also one of the hardest things I've ever done.  It's a whole new world I didn't know existed. It's a whole new part of my life that I wasn't fully prepared for.  

But you know what?  

I'm not going to.  

I'm here to stay.  

No matter what happens, I am determined to keep going and to work hard for something.  I'm not going to follow my nature this time and give up.  I absolutely love writing and will continue to for as long as I can.  There are so many stories in my head waiting to be told.  Even if I write them just for me, I won't stop.  

Not this time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you're going to keep writing, we (readers) need more authors to keep telling their stories so that we have somewhere to escape to (I know I sure do!) I really like the quote you posted at the beginning of this, I really needed to see this today.

    Good luck, and I hope you keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    You have such a wonderful talent. Please continue to share it with all of us. I read your book twice. I loved it, and cannot wait for the next. There will always be others who try to bring you down and believe me when I say its hard not to take things to heart. That what makes you such a wonderful writer because you truly feel with your heart. I to struggle with self-esteem. When you write you put yourself out there for everyone to tear you apart. When I feel down I remind myself of the famous quote by Eleanor Roosevelt, " No one can make you feel inferior without your consent". Hang in there, you got this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I applaud your fighting spirit. You can do it! I had the same dream when I was in my 30s. Came close to being published, then got a midlife bonus of an unexpected pregnancy and a special needs child. Even though I had to put off my dream again for almost 20 years, I'm back to it now and building a career. NEVER give up.

    ReplyDelete